As part of our services we offer consultation & design right from the concept design stage, to town planning applications & architectural drawings, through to building permit application and everything required to be ready to build.
We can provide designs completely from scratch, or work with design ideas you may already have.
We can provide advice on optimal layout for passive solar gain, materials and design features to improve sustainability and off-grid or alternative energy systems.
There is an ever-increasing range of products and materials that are improving the availability and choice for home design, as well as the tried and tested methods of natural building that have been around for centuries and are now seeing a resurgence.
Being able to provide design services as well as building & construction, means that we have more control over being able to design a home that has a high level of sustainability and is in line with the client’s budget, whilst still being functional to build.
Aspects that may be included in a sustainable home include:
- Natural materials – rammed earth, cob, straw bale, stone, brick
- Recycled materials
- Natural Renders
- Sustainably sourced Australian plantation timbers
- Designs for those who wish to be completely off-grid
- Alterations to existing dwellings
- Increased self-sufficiency for city living
- Products with low toxicity
- Products with low embedded energy
- Double-glazing on windows
- Passive solar orientation/design
- Earthen floors
- Heating – heat pump systems, solar and combustion stove systems
- Composting toilets
- Grey-water systems
- Natural ventilation
- Built to last
- Water storage
- Landscaping to improve energy efficiency
- Attached green houses/green spaces
- Creative spaces – bottle walls, free-form walls